Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thoughts from a Rising Sophomore

I knew this point in the summer would eventually come, and alas, here it is. I am on the precipice  of my sophomore year of college, and have yet to move in. I have started gathering my things, organizing them into a beautiful mess, and getting any last minute items I need. All of my textbooks have come in (my backpack is certainly not packed yet!), and soon I will move in and march off to my first class of my sophomore year. So what am I thinking about as I begin Act II of my college performance?

Well, I am thinking about how I want this year to be different from last year. In my sophomore year, I hope to make more friends with people that respect me for who I am and find people with whom I share common interests. I expect to do just as well and work just as hard in my schoolwork, but instead of letting the schoolwork consume me, I also want to have a little fun (after all, a little fun never hurt anyone!). I am also looking forward to carving out a path that will lead me to my ultimate dream. In case I have never shared this, I dream of being a journalist. Either a broadcast or print journalist, covering politics, world news, fashion, entertainment, it doesn't matter to me; I will talk about anything, as long as it means that I am a journalist (if you're wondering, my ultimate dream would be to anchor The Today Show or Good Morning America!)!  I just hope that, through the clubs I join and the people I meet and the classes I take, I gain enough experience and form strong connections that will lead me right into my dreams.

I often think about how these coming experiences may change me: Who will I be this time next year? What will I have accomplished? Who will I know? Will I have had an internship? Where? Will I study abroad? Will college feel more like home to me? Just as I have changed and matured and met new people and accomplished great things between last summer and this one, I imagine that by next summer, my life will have changed again for the better. As far as I can see, things can only go up from here.

As move in day approaches ever so swiftly, there is one last thing that I can't help but think about: how much I will still miss my family. I have enjoyed a wonderful four-month summer vacation with them, and even though I survived move-in day last year (which I am convinced was the hardest thing I have done yet), I still get a lump in my throat when I think about kissing them goodbye after all the boxes are unpacked and the only thing left to do is part ways. I know, I know, you're probably thinking that I should be over this by now, that I have lived away for a full year already and I shouldn't be so emotional about leaving them again. And you are partially right; I should be better at this by now. But at the same time, I can't help being upset when I leave my family. To me, they are everything; if I have them in my life, then I have it all.  But what I know now that I didn't know last year is that they are with me everyday in my thoughts and in my heart, and they are never more than just a phone call, a text, or a Skype call away.

As much as I am not looking forward to homework, tests, and essays, I have to say, I am somewhat excited to see what this year has in store for me. And if last year was any judge of what is to come, I think I will be in for some pretty spectacular things.

Until next time,

That Thoughtful University Girl



No comments:

Post a Comment