Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Days Go By...Not Really

It's been officially one week since I have started my sophomore year of college. If I were to be asked how it's going so far, I would respond with only one word: slowly.

The past week has dripped by, slowly, painfully, one day at a time. Sometimes, I have felt like I have had at least 3 separate days within one single day. And when I realize that it is still only [insert whatever day here], I cry a little bit inside!

I know, I know. I must sound pretty miserable. I am not as miserable as I sound, I assure you. I am just... stressed. I guess that is the only word for it. All of my classes this semester involve A LOT of reading. And I don't just mean reading a chapter or two of a textbook (I would give anything to just have to read textbook-length chapter!). I am talking about reading several chapters of non-fiction books, as in books that you could find in any bookstore across the country. These are not just any non-fiction books, mind you. These are books on scientific research and world religions.

I don't mind reading. I truly don't. But when I have to read several chapters of each of these kinds of books in the same week for classes that sometimes occur on the same day, then I have a problem.

First of all, the chapters are tremendously long, sometimes spanning 50 pages in length. I am also expected to read some books in parts. For example, I have to read the first two parts of one of my books for next week; those two parts amount to nearly 200 pages. If I were not in school, reading 200 pages of a book in one week is not at all that difficult. What is difficult, however, is reading 200 pages of one book, then reading 100 pages of another book, and then 30 pages of yet another book and trying to keep all of that information straight (and getting it done in time for class)!!!

I have been reading nearly all day, and honestly, I am not sure if I can tell you one word of what I just read. I am tired. I am confused. I am drained. I have no idea if I am even remembering or comprehending what I am reading. All I know is that I wake up in the morning and start reading. My gosh, I am starting to loath that "r" word!

So now that you know what the beginning of my sophomore year is like, I should probably wrap this up because, well, you know. I have reading to do.

Catch you next time my nose is not stuck in a book-

That Reading University Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment