Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Binge Watching and Deep Thoughts

Judgement day is upon us: that's right, it's currently midterm season, and every teacher has been throwing tests and essays at me left, right, and sideways. My mind feels like it might explode from the amount of thinking I have had to do, but in the midst of the paper-writing, the studying, and of course the stressing, I have been able to enjoy myself...at least kind of enjoy myself.

I have recently gotten a HuluPlus subscription, which allows me to watch all my favorite television shows while also discovering new TV shows while I'm away at school. A few weeks ago, I started watching a show called "The Mindy Project," a show that stars Mindy Kaling as a thirty-something OB/GYN doctor named Mindy Lahiri who searches for love in all the wrong places. She works in a group practice with three other male doctors, one of whom, Danny Castellano, starts off as her worst enemy. They hurl insults at each other constantly and bicker incessantly; they couldn't even conduct an interview to hire another nurse to their staff without insulting each other!

Slowly, Mindy and Danny start to become friends, and amid the sarcastic banter, they begin to confide in each other about their personal lives, their love lives, and their everyday problems. And spoiler alert, they end up falling in love.

I have been binge-watching this show amid studying for exams and writing essays, and needless to say, I have become slightly obsessed with it. Yes, the comedy of traditional sitcoms blended with the hilarity of romantic comedies is very easy to be attracted to. But I think what interests me the most is how two people who started off as what seemed like mortal enemies could come together and eventually fall in love.

This led me to thinking about how people and relationships in general can change, either for the better (like Mindy and Danny) or for the worse. In their case, once they established a sort of unique, irreplaceable friendship with one another, it allowed for their relationship to escalate to another level. But how does that happen in real life? How do two seemingly opposite people come together to form this really zany, slightly off-kilter, but still really incredible relationship?

And even on the flip side of that, how do two people start off in such a great relationship or friendship, but then get to a place where they can't even stand the sight of each other? What makes something great fall apart? Or was it even great in the first place and we were just too blind to see it?

So besides the normal deep-thought required by my classes, "The Mindy Project" really sent my mind reeling with more deep thoughts about the nature of relationships and friendships. Maybe, if I just keep binge-watching, I will be able to find the answer to all of my questions... Or maybe I will just discover another hysterical episode! Onto another episode I go!

Catch you next time-

That Binge-Watching University Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment